Sunday, April 5, 2009

Banff

Tara, Mary and I flew to Calgary on Friday morning. Like the start of all girl vacations, we took pictures.
Due to the hour and a half road trip ahead of us went right to lunch at Joey Tomato's. After learning our first lesson about Canadians moving slower than Americans we finally started on our way to Banff.For being 3 girls that have each lived in Utah for over 9 years you'd think we wouldn't be excited by mountains but really, each set (or portion of a range) really does have its own look and feel. The drive to Banff is spectacular and totally removes you from real life.We drove through downtown Banff to get to The Fairmont Banff Springs loving all of the little shops and getting excited to go shopping. The town looks a lot like Park City but has a slightly European feel and is just darling. I had seen plenty of pictures of our hotel online but I wasn't quite prepared for its size - it's HUGE!
We checked into the hotel, checked out our room (small...but had chocolate dipped strawberries).After we checked into the hotel Tara and I headed straight to massage appointments. After getting rubbed down we went to the spas pools. Not quite The Grand Wailea, but they have several pools of varying temperature. Tara and I pool hopped and Mary joined us after her massage. We sat in the outside hot tub for quite a while, laughing and talking.

After the spa we went to dinner at the Grapes Wine Bar. We had baked brie as an appetizer,
steak with mashed potatoes, and chicken stuffed with boursin. Yum!
After dinner we were so tired we almost fell asleep at the table so we headed back to our room and went to bed.

Saturday morning we slept in and then headed to town for shopping. We browsed the shops and then had lunch at Earls where I had pad thai and we shared chocolate sticky toffee pudding for dessert.After lunch we went to a local lookout and took pictures......including this one of us with Cry Babies (anyone remember these?).Tara really wanted to see wildlife other than what she sees in her backyard, but there was nothing. She did catch this little guy on camera...
After our photo shoot we stopped by the hotel and then went to Lake Louise to live out a dream of mine - a sleigh ride! First we had dinner at The Fairmont Lake Louise which included "small bites" of various tasty appetizers, a good steak, and passion fruit creme brulee.
After dinner we went on a sleigh ride around Lake Louise. It was freezing cold but so amazingly beautiful!After the sleigh ride we went back to our hotel and went swimming in the outdoor heated pool. It was so cold outside but the pool was hot and Tara and I both count this as one of our favorite parts of the trip.

This morning we slept in and then got breakfast from the lounge on our floor and brought it back to our room. We sat in bed and listened to General Conference while eating breakfast. To all the Mormons out there, this is the way to do conference. Try it, you'll love it.

After breakfast we packed up and headed to the airport, but not before a stop at the Rundle Lounge for lunch. I'm a crabcake snob and these were good...

The drive to the airport included my usual lead foot and being caught in a speed trap (do foreign tickets get put on your record?) but we made it to the airport in time to catch our flight (barely).

These are 2 of the girls I love the most and I'm so glad we were able to get away together. We had so much fun goofing around, eating good food and just hanging out. I couldn't have asked for a better weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Wow that looks like a great trip. I'm glad you were able to get away. Was this for your birthday celabration as well? :) And cry baby's are classic. I bought some at the dollar store for myself for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited to see pictures! What an amazing weekend - and the food!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a FAB trip- I'm so jealous! Looks like you had a blast. I gotta say baked brie and chicken stuffed with boursin makes my mouth water- UGH! That sounds SOOOO good!

    I'm so glad you had a fun birthday celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so, so, so jealous. I'm so glad you had such a great trip, you totally deserved it! and it looks like Banff is the place to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you and Mary are in fuzzy slipper boot shoes and Phae is in flip flops. classic. Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, sounds like an amazing trip! what beautiful scenery... and that hotel looks amazing.
    glad you had fun.
    I took care of a sick man and baby for conference... not really living it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like an amazing trip! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how fun linds!
    i love the updates, you sure are good at those.
    cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Grand Wailea... I almost started drooling when I read that and remembered our family trip to Hawaii when we stayed there a few years ago. A-MA-ZING.

    Well, it looks like you had an awesome trip--and I think I just might take your advice and do Conference your way come October. :)

    ReplyDelete